John E. Coffey
- Bankruptcy & Creditors Rights
- Intellectual Property
- Covenants Enforcement
- J.D., Washington & Lee University School of Law (1979)
- B.A., University of Maryland (1976)
Jack Coffey has maintained an active civil trial practice in Northern Virginia since 1979, focusing upon general commercial litigation in Virginia and the District of Columbia state and appellate courts, U.S. Federal Courts, and before various alternative dispute resolution panels.
Mr. Coffey has tried or arbitrated numerous cases in the state, federal and appellate courts of Virginia and the District of Columbia, including the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (home of the renowned “Rocket Docket.”). Among the numerous cases Mr. Coffey has tried are cases involving covenants enforcement; disputes involving banking and real estate transactions; construction disputes; employment disputes; community association disputes; legal, medical and nursing home professional liability defense; and environmental litigation.
A former President of the Federal Bar Association’s Northern Virginia Chapter, Mr. Coffey is also a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, a trial lawyer honorary society comprised of less than 0.5% of lawyers in the United States. Mr. Coffey has also been selected to the List of Virginia Super Lawyers since 2012.
Mr. Coffey resides in Alexandria, Virginia, with his wife Suzy. An avid runner, he is a multi-year participant in the Boston Marathon with a best finish of 49th place.
- Partner, Redmon, Peyton & Braswell, LLP (2008-Present)
- Partner, Reed Smith LLP (formerly Hazel & Thomas, PC) (1986- 2008)
- Associate, Thomas & Fiske, P.C. (1979-1986)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia
Bar and Professional Memberships
- Commonwealth of Virginia (1979)
- District of Columbia (1992)
- Virginia State Bar Fifth District Disciplinary Committee (2004-2012; Chair 2010-11)
- Virginia Bar Association
- Alexandria Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Northern Virginia Chapter (Officer and Director 2003-2010; President 2008-2009)
Jack Coffey has an AV® rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating possible, and practices in Virginia and the District of Columbia.