James S. Kurz
James Kurz is first a problem solver, but when parties cannot reach a reasonable resolution, his clients value his extensive trial experience. His professional resume covers 190 trials to verdict, including more than 40 jury trials.
His legal work builds on his time as a government antitrust attorney, service as a federal prosecutor, and 20 years as a partner in a litigation boutique and two AmLaw 100 firms. For three years, he led a legal technology startup before returning full-time in 2011 to law practice.
Mr. Kurz’s practice focuses on Commercial and Intellectual Property litigation in the Alexandria federal court and in the Virginia state courts (including the Circuit Court for Fairfax County). In trial he has represented domestic and overseas hardware vendors and software developers, cable and telecommunications providers, pharmaceutical companies, and federal government contractors.
He is recognized professionally with an AV®/Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell, as one of the Best Lawyers in America, and among the SuperLawyers. Mr. Kurz is a frequent writer and speaker on legal developments regarding trade secrets, eDiscovery and data preservation, and defamation law.
- Redmon, Peyton & Braswell LLP, Litigation Partner
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice PLLC, Litigation Partner
- ReedSmith LLP (formerly Hazel & Thomas, P.C.), Litigation Partner
- Kurz Koch Doland & Dembling (and predecessor firms), Founding Partner
- Office of the United States Attorney, Washington, D.C., Special Assistant U.S. Attorney
- Federal Trade Commission, Bureau of Competition, Antitrust Staff Attorney
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Courts of Appeals for the 4th, 7th, 9th, District of Columbia, and Federal Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Eastern District of Virginia (including the Bankruptcy Court)
- United States District Courts for the District of Maryland and the District of the District of Columbia
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- State Courts of Virginia
- State Courts of Maryland
- Courts of the District of Columbia
Bar and Professional Memberships
- Virginia State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- Federal Bar Association
James S. Kurz practices in Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia.