John F. Rodgers
- Estate & Business Planning
- Estate & Trust Administration
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Tax Litigation
- J.D., College of William & Mary (1979)
- B.B.A., Southern Methodist University (1976)
John Rodgers has practiced estate and business planning and tax law for forty years. He was admitted to the Virginia and District of Columbia Bars in 1979 and to the Florida Bar in 1980. He is a member of the American Bar Association Section of Taxation and serves on its Estate Planning and Closely Held Business Committees.
John has co-authored several books on estate planning, limited liability companies, and will drafting. He has served as an instructor of business law at Strayer University.
In his fields of emphasis, he has advised companies as to the tax and business aspects of mergers and acquisitions, business formation issues including choice of entity, and business tax issues such as compliance and audit representation. He has worked extensively in the areas of trusts and estates, estate administration, and as tax counsel to large estates. He has successfully contested local and state tax assessments on behalf of businesses including: license tax, business personal property tax, and sales tax assessments.
In law school, he was an editor of the Amicus Curiae and received the American Jurisprudence award in Commercial Law.
John’s TaxTales blog can be found here: http://www.taxtales.com
- Redmon, Peyton & Braswell, LLP (1993-present)
- Murphy McGettigan Richards and West, P.C. (1991-1993)
- Ross Marsh and Foster (1988-1991)
- Rodgers & Rodgers, P.C. (1979-1988)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Courts of Appeal: 4th, 5th, 11th and DC Circuits
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Courts: DC, Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- State Courts: Virginia, Florida and District of Columbia
Bar and Professional Memberships
- Virginia State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- Florida State Bar